Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Schneider-Brooklyn Hopfen Weisse

Hopfen Weisse 8,2%
This beer is a result of friendship between the two brewmasters Gareth Oliver at Brooklyn Brewery and Hans-Peter Drexler at Schneider. I think it's best to describe it as a mix between a German wheat beer and an American pale ale. It combines the thick fruity quality of the wheat beer with the distinct grassy hops of the APA. Both brewers brewed the same kind of beer at their respective breweries, this is the Schneider version.


It poured a hazy copper liquid with a medium foam. The aroma has tones of grassy hops. First taste is kinda weird, with different flavours stretching all over the place. My first thought was: "What the hell have they done to the beer!!" It both has some sweetness and a distinct bitterness. The finish has some warm alcohol and something chemical to it.

Im not entirely sure what to think of this beer. It feels very unbalanced with different tastes tugging in different directions. On the other hand it is a very interesting beer that got me thinking. I really like these kinds of experiments and hope I get to try some more beers. I also believe I need to try this again to give it a fair shoot. For now I guess the grade is a compromise ;)

Total: 3,4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment