Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Busbelgo and Death By Hops

Last weekend we didn't just run and drink canned beer. We also had the joy of trying out the magic beer tap. My father had installed a keg each of Busbelgo and Death By Hops IPA.


Busbelgo
My father and Chrille brewed this belgian abbey style ale (Quadrupel?), with the intention of making a complex brew with allot of spices creating a wide pallete. I have to admit that they did succeded, it is a very good beer and you really have to work to find all of the different flavors. However I have a couple of pointers in case they brew it again.

It poured a hazy dark liquid with tones of red and a very small foam. I would love to see this one with a bigger foam.

I didn't have to get my nose to close to the glass to get a sniff of the spicey brew. It smelled of cinnamon and ginger, very christmasy.

With great anticipation I tasted it and was greated by allot of cinnamon but also some ginger and vanilla. But the cinnamon was very dominant and hid some of the other flavors. The liquid was very smooth and pleasent in my mouth, however it had little to no fizzyness which I expected.

If you ever do this beer again I would suggest to cut back slightly on the cinnamon and add some more fizzyness. All in all a very nice beer. Good job guys! Can't wait to try your next brew.

Total: 3,7/5

(Need a pic here. For some odd reason I forgot to take one.)

Death By Hops IPA
This is a Double IPA that my father and Chrille brewed together with some other people at Källarknuten as an introduction to the brewclub. This beer was fantastic, one of the best DIPAs I have ever tried.

It poured a hazy golden liquid with a medium foam that left a nice lacing. Looked very appealing but the get full score I would like to see an even more appealing foam.

The first sniff revealed a fruity smell of peaches and passion fruit. Which was very similar to a Mikkeller beer I had the day before: Single Hop Simcoe IPA. Very pleasent but the fruity smell was only there for a few seconds until it dissapeared and left a scent of flowery hops.

Since it smelled so nice my mouth started watering and the first moutfull delivered what my nose had promised. It tasted fruity with flowery hops and a high bitterness. The liquid was very smooth and pleasent and it was really hard to stop drinking.

The total score is very high and the highest I have ever given to a DIPA. Rogue DIPA comes in a close second at 4,1. Excellent beer!
Total: 4,2/5

5 comments:

  1. Just a comment about the foam. I think it's a problem with the pressure settings in the tap. As I just have installed the tap, and still doing improvements, it's not "calibrated" yet. That means I have to find the right pressure and the right size and length of the hoses. In that way it’s possible to pour a beer with more or less foam.
    But thanks for the comments about the Bus Belgo. Will think about it the next time. But I’m surprised that you didn’t feel anything of the salmiac from the Muscovado sugar. I thought it was very dominant!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm can't remember salmiac at all, but I'll have to check for it next time I try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to read about our babies! Im glad to read about Death by hops and the high score, this means alot!
    Good comments om Bus belgo, we will have your notes in mind when we do the next recipe. I little amount of wheat malt should give the beer a better foam.
    Now Im tired, have just started my vacation, so now I will sleep and then plan for the next brew!
    Thanks again for the comments Stefan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds very interesting this one, would love to try it out but I guess that will be almost impossible.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrille: Thanks for the excelllent beer ;)

    Dempa: If they ever brew this again I have said that Im interested in buying a keg and put it on bottles. So it might be possible to do a beer exchange sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete