Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Visiting Oslo, part 2 - Vinmonopolet

The first thing I did after waking up on saturday was to run down to the nearest Vinmonopol (similar to the swedish Systembolaget). My first reaction upon entering was: Where the hell is all the beer? I started to get scared that my norwegian friends where right: "There are no good beers in Norway". Ran around for a while before asking for help. They had stored what little beer they had on a shelf that was hidden from direct view. It was definitely the least favored type of alcohol in the store, which was dominated by different kinds of wine and spirits.

However what little beer they had was quite interesting. I actually had a hard time choosing as I couldnt bring anything home with me. So all the beer I bought had to be tasted the same day. I ended up buying 6 bottles, which I will cover in detail in part 3. But I could have easily bought 6 bottles more.

I wasn't suprised that the beer was more expensive then in Sweden. However what striked me as odd was that the gap between bad/cheap (whatever word you want to give it) wasn't that big. A Hansa lager cost about 48 SEK while a Nögne Ö IPA ended up at 78 SEK. In comparison to Sweden I think the Hansa would cost about 10 SEK (or in that region at least), while the IPA would cost 51,90 SEK (Thanks Marc!). So the incentive to walk down "Cheap-road" is smaller in Norway compared to Sweden. However as I understood it, the majority buys their beer at the supermarket. I never checked the prices but heard something about 200 SEK for a 6-pack of 4,5% lager.
To summarize: The supply in Norway is quite low, but what they have is quite nice, you just have to spend a little extra to get it. But compared to Sweden the difference in price on the more interesting beers is not that big. But on lager it's a huge difference.

8 comments:

  1. The Nøgne Ø IPA is 51,90 SEK in Sweden ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the strongest beer you can buy at the supermarkets in Norway? I got the impression that the cut is higher than in Sweden (3.5% ABV)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc: Thanks, I couldn't remember if I had bought it at Systemet or not.

    Bark: I'm not sure but can ask my friends. I never bought the beer myself but I was drinking 4,5% Ringnes which they had bought at the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, 4,5% is the beer you get in the supermarket. Not like 'folk-öl', which some Swedish chick thought I drank when I once mentioned I had to go to the store to buy beer *she laughed at me for being a pussy* :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha. She seems to have got you spot on there mate :)

    Btw what does the beer cost at the supermarket?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the price for one .5l can is 25NOK (I should know, I just bought beers for tonight :P). Not quite sure how much you pay for .33's as I mainly drink canned pints, but in the vicinity of 15NOK isn't far off I imagine.

    Btw, my sister brought home some Leffe for me the other day which are going to be drunk wholeheartedly tonight ^^ Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah thanks for that info mate. So how was the Leffe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. T'was good, but hadn't been in the fridge for an hour or so, so it had heated up a bit. Still, nice to taste a bit of Belgium again ^^

    ReplyDelete