Thursday, July 2, 2009

Testing Hökhålts Sommarale

I don't know why, but this entire week has felt like one big friday. So today I finally capitalized on it and took the liberty of trying a beer I've been drooling over for a while. It is last years winner of the Swedisch Championchip in Homemade Beer. The first prize is that you get to brew it commercially, this years winner brewed at Grebbestads Bryggeri. I ordered a crate (15 beers) through Systembolaget and shared it with my father and Per (see the Frövi race).


Hökhålts Sommarale 5% (Bottle)
It poured a dark clear golden liquid with a medium foam that left a little bit of lacing on the walls of the glass. The foam slowly receded and left a 1 mm foam on the top of the surface.

It had an aroma of grassy hops, most likely English, also some hay and a hint of caramel and malt.

My first reaction when I tested it was that it felt very smooth in my mouth. It also left a tingly sensation in my entire mouth, not sure if this was caused by the beer or the fact that I was thirsty. It tasted of grassy hops, hay and caramel, with a low to medium bitterness, with just a little bit of sting to it. Also a hint of metal, but not so much that it had a negative effect on the beer.

Felt like a well balanced beer and it worked great in the hot weather, I would happily have a couple more. Too bad it’s only Thursday...

Total: 3,4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment