Friday, July 10, 2009

Visiting Oslo, part 3 - The Beer

As I wrote earlier I bought 6 bottles. My intention was to go all out norwegian but I had already tested several of the Nögne Ö they had stored so I felt more in the mood to try something new. I started out testing two belgian beers. They where very similar in taste and quality. Not sure why they had two so similar beers when the supply was so low.



It poured a cloudy golden liquid with a huge foam that slowly receded and left a nice lacing on the side of the glass.

It had a smell that leaned towards white wine. Fruity with some sweetness and yeast.

The first taste was very smooth in my mouth and not as fizzy as I would have expected. It tasted of white wine, yeast, sweet and fruity, with a hint of orange. However the flavor was quite weak and quickly dissapeared in my mouth.
Total: 3,1/5

It poured a cloudy golden liquid with a big foam that left just a little bit of lacing. There was also some small bits of yeast floating around in the liquid.

It smelled fruity with some yeast. Not as strong as the above beer.

This one was also very smooth, but had a much weaker flavor. Had some fruits and yeast. But besides that it was a bit watery.
Total: 2,9/5

At this point we left the appartment to go to Huk. When I came back I was craving hops and my mouth watered when I thought about the two IPAs I had in the fridge. I started with the american.

It poured a clear golden liquid with a big foam that left some lacing.

It smelled of grassy hops, grapefruit and a hint of pineapple. Very nice!

On the first sip I noticed the high bitterness. Then I tasted the grassy hops, citrus and a hint of grapefruit. It felt like it lacked something though, it doesn't really "attack" the entire mouth as I would expect it to do. But besides that a very nice beer.
Total: 3,4/5

It poured a hazy copper liquid with a huge foam with big bubbles that left allot of lacing on the side of the glass. It also had some yeast floating around in it. It looked very appealing.

It had an aroma of grassy hops, citrus and grapefruit.

The flavor was filled with grassy hops, citrus, grapefruit and a hint of some other fruits. Felt very smooth in my mouth. A very nice beer and was very well recieved by my friends.
Total: 4,1/5
Haandbryggeriet Odin’s Tipple (Bottle) 11%
It poured a pitch dark liquid with a small brown foam.

The aroma was filled with chocolate, nuts and coffey.

It had a taste of dark chocolate, nuts and coffey. It was also sour and sweet, something that I didn't expect. The alcohol was well hidden and I didn't expect to see 11% on the label.
Total: 3,5/5

Haandbryggeriet Norse Porter (Bottle) 6,5%
It poured a pitch dark liquid with a huge dark foam that quickly dissapeared.

The smell was very weak and I had a hard time distinguishing any aroma at all.

The flavor was similar to their Odin's Trippel, but allot weaker. With chocolate, coffey and nuts.
Total: 2,7/5

No comments:

Post a Comment