Monday, January 18, 2010

Alvinne Struise Pipeworks Pipedream

Since Karin hadn't showed up yet I figured I could try some more beer. I asked the bartender for an american hopped up beer and he suggested this beer:

Alvinne Struise Pipeworks Pipedream (Bottle) 7,8%
The description in the beer list said IPA and he assured me it would be a hopped up type of IPA. That is the same description Ratebeer has. But I was surprised when I tried it, since it was more of a Belgian style ale. Well anyway the beer has been brewed as a joint project between Alvinne, Struise and Pipeworks brewery.


Bitterness------Sweetness-----Sourness-----Intensity-------Body
□□
□□□----□□□□□-----□□□---□□□----□

Appearance:
4/5
It poured a hazy golden liquid with a soapy white foam that left a lacing that quickly disappeared.

Smell: 4/10
Weak smell with just a faint hint of yeast.

Taste: 7/10
Yeast, malt, hint of hops. The relatively high carbonation took over and hid allot of flavours.

Mouthfeel: 1/5
Very stingy mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. Hard to drink until the carbonation disappeared.

Comment:
Slightly hard to rate this as I was expecting something completely different. However it didn't take me long to reset my expectations. The biggest problem with this beer was the extremely high amounts of carbonation that hid all the other flavours. After a while it disappeared and became drinkable. Felt unbalanced, maybe it needs some time to mature. Not sure what kind of food would work with this, probably best on it's own.

Total: 2,7/5

4 comments:

  1. I always get suspicious when I see a beer with that kind of very large bubbles and sharp carbonation. But then again, it might be suitable for a Belgian ale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this one last year at Monks and had the same experience as you. Hard to label it really and the palate gets somewhat confused in the end.

    I had to glass-tumble mine for quite some time to get rid of the worst carbo and after that it was definitely more enjoyable.

    After reading up a bit on the three brewers forming Pipeworks I am not really convinced. Seems like Stone / BrewDog wannabees that have very little chance of actually getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bark: Same here, my first thought was that something had gone wrong. Didnt look like an IPA at all. But I agree a sharp carbonation works for belgian beer. However I normally try to swirl it around to get rid of the carbonation.

    Fred: Puh, nice to hear someone else had an odd experience with this. reading the other reviews at ratebeer made me double check if I had gotten a different beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this beer is quite old now, i tried it when it was new and fresh from Belgium and it was quite nice.

    ReplyDelete