Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Update to my reviews

I've been working on how I want my reviews to look, at least the reviews I make when I do it one beer at the time. The thing that bothered me was that it felt like a bunch of text that wasn't very interesting, like describing body, bitterness, and so on. I also wanted them to be easier to look through and possible skip to the part you find interesting.

Compromises
To start off I haven't been able to do it the way I initially wanted, it was just to advanced for blogspot. I've made some compromises but the general idea is still there.

Visual aid
I want a visual way of describing some keystones of the beer, at the moment I have Bitterness, Sweetness, Sourness, Body, Flavour (as in how strong the flavour is, from mild to intence). It feels like there should be more keystones, but I recon I will figure these out as I go along. Im not quite finished with the look of these. I want them presented horizontally and for it to be easy to browse over.

Seperated sections
I have then divided Apperance, Smell, Taste and Mouthfeel into clearly seperated sections with grades on all. For this I just want to describe it in short words instead of compiling a longer text.

Finish with a comment
I finish the review of with a comment, here is where I will write what I thought of the beer, add stuff like what food would work with it or what situation would be suitable for the beer. Well anything I can think of pretty much. This is the part I personally like to read when I read reviews. To make it clear what score the beer got I put in a total score in caps and bigger letter at the end.

Numbers everywhere
I know that some people don't want numbers in their reviews. Which I can understand, but Im personally a sucker for numbers and statistics. As you might notice the numbers system is taken from Ratebeer with one difference, I have trashed the dividing of Flavour and Aroma.

Tomorrow will be my first review with the updated system. Let me know what you think or if you have any ideas of improvements.

1 comment: