Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dieu du Ciel Péché Mortel

This is a coffee stout from the Canadian brewery Dieu du Ciel. It was also part of the news release at Systembolaget at the beginning of December. It costs 34.40 SEK per bottle and is still available at some stores.

Dieu du Ciel Péché Mortel (Bottle) 9,5%
It poured a pitch black liquid with a small light brown foam that left some lacing.

It had a strong smell of primarily coffee, but also chocolate, toffee and an interesting smell that I couldn't quite distinguish, probably related to the added coffee.

The mouth feel was smooth and creamy with a thick body and medium bitterness. The bitterness was more of a coffee and dark chocolate bitterness then a hoppy bitterness. It had a strong taste of coffee but also chocolate, coconut and something burned and roasted.

A fantastic beer! It felt complex and interesting to drink, perfect to sit and sip at for a while. I'm not a big fan of coffee and don't normally drink it, but this was really nice. Definitely recommended and at this price it's an absolute steal. Just as with Rigor Mortis I hope to get a couple of extra bottles.

Total: 4,3/5

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I actually saw this beer at a Whole Foods here in New Jersey! I passed it up, but I noticed it because of the label. I'm quite sure I'll buy it next time as it sounds incredible. (I'm on a bit of a coffee beer kick right now too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Scott. Yeah this is definitely a beer worth buying. It's cheap and still excellent, specially if you like coffee. I personally don't drink coffee and I still enjoyed this :)

    ReplyDelete