Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Making malt bread

I took some of the left over malt (we call it drav in Swedish not sure about the English term) after brewing Nalle Puh Porter (Vinnie the Puh Porter) and made bread from it. I didn't have a recipe for it so I invented my own:

15 dl flour
5 dl malt (quite wet)
5 dl water
1,5 dl hazel nuts
2 teaspoons of salt
0,5 dl of pale baking syrup (ljus baksirap)
50 g dry yeast

Take some finger warm water straight from the tap add the yeast and syrup and stir. Mix flour, nuts and salt and then add the liquid. Start working the dough until it is smooth and flexible. Let it rest for 30 minutes under a blanket. Take the dough out, bang the air out of it and make loafs out of it. Let it rest for another 45 minutes and then bake it in an oven (225 degrees) for about 15 minutes.

Now my malt was a bit wet, I started out with 1 litre of flour and then added quite allot. Also after eating the bread I think it would have been better without the nuts.
Here are some pictures:



6 comments:

  1. Cool. You have to teach your mother.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brödet var riktigt gott! Det får du gärna göra igen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jepp det var inte så dumt. Ska nog ta och baka en till sats snart. Ska också sno med mig lite drav från nästa bryggning och se om det blir någon skillnad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to make your own bread! Did you like "hemkunskap" in Elementary school? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I did. I actually make some bread from time to time. Made some saffron buns with glögg marinated raisins and "mandelmassa" just before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete