Friday, January 15, 2010

Monks Café Hel & Verdoemenis Stockholm Edition

Last weekend I went shopping for some clothes. In other words I bought everything I needed in about 15 minutes and then ran over to Monks Café on Sveavägen. I had heard they had a new beer that I had to try.
Monks Café Hel & Verdoemenis Stockholm Edition (Tap) 8,7%
This beer was brewed at Monks Café at Wallingatan together with Menno Olivier from de Molen. This is a new edition of the original H & V beer that is ranked as the best beer in the Netherlands.

Bitterness------Sweetness-----Sourness-----Intensity-------Body
□□□
■□□□----□■□□□□□-----■□□□□---□□□□■□----□□□□■□

Appearance: 4/5
It poured a very hazy dark brown liquid with a huge light brown foam. The foam took a long time to dissapear and left allot of leftovers on the side of the glass.

Smell: 8/10
Chocolate, coffee, soy sauce, malty, hops, grass and hops resin.

Taste: 9/10
Chocolate, coffee, some soy sauce, nuts, malt and some grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: 5/5
Smooth mouthfeel with a thick liquid that coats my mouth.

Comment:
A fantastic beer, malty and rich with flavour. It was also very easy to drink and the flavours didn't overwhelm and the alcohol was well hidden. The beer worked very well on it's own but I think it might work well with a chocolate cake. Compared to the original H&V this version is lighter and easier to drink. The original was stronger in both flavour and alcohol, more aggressive. I actually preferred this version better although I'm rewarding both beers a 4,3/5.

Total: 4,3/5

3 comments:

  1. I tried it a few days ago, really a nice beer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Last weekend I went shopping for some clothes. In other words I bought everything I needed in about 15 minutes and then ran over to Monks Café on Sveavägen." EPIIIIC!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe did you learn something new now Nicklas? These days when I go shopping I do so with a smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete