Saturday, November 7, 2009

La Trappe Witte Trappist

I finally got around to testing some of the november news last night. I started out with the belgian Witt from La Trappe. It feels kind of odd to realease a wheat beer at the end of fall, but since I love wheat beers I'm not complaining. But I usually buy them during summer time, always try to have a couple of bottles of Weihestephaner and Franzizkaner in my fridge when the temperature rises.

Anyway back to the beer. It is brewed by La Trappe which is the only trappist brewery outside of Belgium, this one located in the Netherlands. I tried this at SBWF 2009 and gave it a 3,2, but I wanted to give it a second chance since I had tried quite allot of beer by then.

La Trappe Witte Trappist (Bottle) 5,5%
It poured a hazy golden liquid with a huge white foam that left allot of lacing. I like the look of these kinds of beer, maybe it could have been a bit more hazy but that's getting a bit picky.

It had a strong and fresh smell of yeast, coriander and foam banana. It was quite fresh and nice, nothing really to complain about.

The initial mouthfeel was a bit stingy with lots of carbonation. After swirling it around a bit it got better and the flavours started to come out. The first I noticed was the yeast, it was present on the first sip but after a while the coriander and foam banana started to come out. There was also some sweetness. The body was medium thick and I would have actually prefered it a bit thicker as it became a bit watery after a while.

Overall a nice beer and I think it would be better during a hot summer day.
Total: 3,6/5

No comments:

Post a Comment