Thursday, November 19, 2009

Testing Achel

Achel is the last trappist brewery for me to taste but the second last for me to rate. During SBWF 2009 I managed to get my hands on their Bruin. But they where all out of their other beers.

Achel 8 Bruin (bottle) 8%
It poured a dark hazy brown liquid with a white foam that lasted a long while.

The smell was srong with yeast, pepper and other spices.

It had a smooth mouthfeel, and tasted of yeast, caramell and spices. It felt round and very well balanced. A very nice beer.
Total: 4,2/5

Last saturday when I visited Bishops Arms I managed to get my hands on their Blonde.
Achel 8 Blonde (bottle) 8%
It poured a hazy golden liquid with a big white foam that left allot of lacing. Also some yeast in the bottle that dissapeared when I poured it.

It had a fruity smell of oranges, apples and yeast.

The mouthfeel was stingy with a high carbonation, which hid the flavours at first. But after swirling it around a bit it got better and the beer started to blossom. The fruits where the first come out and I noticed some citrus, oranges in particular and apples. It also had a yeast taste.

Once again a nice beer but the Bruin was better, would have been fun to try them side by side though.
Total: 3,9/5

Now I have rated beers from all the trappist breweries except for Chimay. But I got four bottles waiting in storage. I just need the right opportunity to try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment