Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ghostly Halloween

I've had a quite relaxed weekend. On friday me and Per had a beer tasting with some workmates. They got to try out Death By Hops 2 and I think they enjoyed it. We got allot of comments about the smell, but I think allot of people thought the bitter flavour and the overwhelming hoppy character of the beer was a bit to much. But that is to be expected since it's quite an extreme beer compared to what they usually drink.

Yesterday me and Karin went into Stockholm. Since it was Halloween we had booked ourselfs on a Stockholm Ghost Walk, but we started out by eating a vegetarian buffét at Hermans. It was pretty nice, not the best vegetarian food I've had but still some nice food. The view from Hermans is quite spectacular though, since you get a great view of the city at night. The only real downside was the very loud volume and it was close to impossible to speak to eachother in that place.

After eating ourselfs completely full on veggies and a huge chunk of cake we got as dessert we walked around in the southern parts of town for a while. We came across this church and since it was also Alla Helgona there where allot of people there lightning candles.

We then continued our walk and since we had a few hours to spare we went to Akkurat. But the place was packed and we didn't feel like standing so we went to Old Town where we later on would start our Ghost Walk. Glennfiddich Warehouse was close by so we stopped by for a drink. I could only find one beer I hadn't tried before so I went with it:

Nynäshamn Ålö Ale (tap) 5,6%
It poured a clear golden liquid with a big white creamy foam that left a nice lacing. It had a very weak smell of yeast, fruits and oranges. It had a stingy mouthfeel with a high bitterness. A taste of grassy hops, yeast, oranges, cirtus and grapefruit. The flavours didn't quite mix as well as it might sound. But all in all a decent beer.
2,9/5

I also re-tasted Nils Oscar Hop Yard IPA which I sampled at SBWF. This time I didn't quite like it as much, it had gotten a very odd funky flavour that I can only relate to refrigirator, onions and some kind of brooth. Maybe they need to clean their pipes at Glennfiddich.

I didn't finish my Hop Yard (no big loose), since we had run out of time and had to walk down to Järntorget where the show had just started. It was a shorter special version since it was Halloween, not sure what the normal Ghost Walk is like but I quite enjoyed it. We walked around Old Town and our guide talked about the history of some of the buildings and we also got to encounter some of the ghosts of famous people. Well some where not quite as famous, such as the pleasure girl that we meet and told me and Karin that she could show us a thing or two. The entire show was allot better then I thought it would be but I would have love some more ghost stories.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nynäshamn beers draft is nice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like Ålö, one of the better ones from Nynäshamn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm I wasn't that impressed, but I'm more then willing to give it another try :)

    ReplyDelete