Friday, November 27, 2009

ÖBWF 2009, part 5

We didn't walk very far before me and Per bumped into my father. He was pretty excited and said he had found a new brewery that I had to test. He dragged me over to Benny Sundberg who started Stockeboda Bryggeri just a month ago down in Österlen. His goal was to make good beers that where easy to drink. So the customer group he aimed for didn't really include beer geeks. He talked about selling to conference centers and hotels. But I got a feeling it will be more then that. I also found this blog that says he has some more interesting projects planned. So maybe I just missunderstood his goals. Well I have to admit I get a bit thirsty when I read about that Barley Wine he has planned.
However I still wanted to try his beers so me and Per ordered one of each:

Stockeboda Ljus Ale (Tap) 5,2%
This is a pale ale that was very easy to drink, smooth mouthfeel and light body. Some taste of malt and hops with a low bitterness. Not that exciting but it will probably work on the masses.
Total: 2,8/5
Stockeboda Vinternattens Mörker (Tap) 5%
As far as I could see this beer was pitch black. Also smooth like it's pale little brother but with the difference that this one was more spicey with some caramell. I think this one was a bit better then the Pale Ale. But they where both a bit to light for my taste. Might be better to try them under better conditions.
Total: 2,9/5

After saying goodbye to Benny we walked around for a bit and sampled various beers. Then landed at Great Brands where they had several interesting beers. The one that stood out the most was a beer from Harviestoun, a brewery that keeps on delivering good beers. I didn't think much of them when I first tried them on a cruiser to Åland. But that's all water under the boat now.
Ola Dubh 12 years (Bottle) 8%
This is really Black Oil (3,4/5) that has been stored on a 12 year old Highland Park cask. This is a smooth beer with lots of taste of chocolate, coffee, whisky, nuts and wood. A very nice beer and I think it was second best after Kaggen.

This one will also be released at Systembolaget on the 1st of December. With the price of 50 sek per bottle it's an absolute steal. A little bird also told me that they are releasing the 18 and 30 year old versions later on that month.
Total: 4,3/5

We also had some beers from Anderson Valley, Rogue and Avery. The best of them was this beer:
Avery IPA (Bottle) 6%
This beer had a distinct taste and smell of fruity hops. High bitterness and medium body. Top that with a smooth mouthfeel and you got yourself a very tastey brew.
Total: 3,7/5

After a couple more Avery beers (all nice) we ended up back at Brill where we met some interesting people...

No comments:

Post a Comment