Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Ass Warmer

My father brought out two kegs of beer just as we where getting ready for the Christmas ham. It was one keg of Death By Hops 2 and another of Ass Warmer. It's a Christmas Ale that my father and Chrille brewed a while back.

Ass Warmer (tap)
It poured a very dark brown liquid with tones of red, with a big beige foam that left some lacing.

It had a very herbal spicey smell, I smelled some cinnamon and what I thought was wormwood, or cloves. But must have been something else.

The mouthfeel was quite stingy and dry. It had a medium body and a high herbal bitterness that lasted quite a while. It had a very herbal spicey taste and I found some cinnamon, but there where more spices that I couldn't quite distinguish. It didn't have any sweetness at all.

At first I was quite sceptical about the beer as I thought it was to spicey. But after a while it grew on me and got better.

I tried this both before, during and after Christmas dinner and I think it worked best with the chocolate and sweets afterwards. Since it was so herbal and dry it didn't work perfectly with the food but once you added some sweet chocolate it balanced the brew out allot better. Some sweetness added to the brew might have made it a better dinner partner. But as it is now I think it worked well as an after dinner delight ;)

Total: 3,4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment