Monday, December 14, 2009

Little Christmas

Every year me and Karin celebrate our own Christmas, or Little Christmas if you want. Mainly because we tend to travel around allot visiting relatives during the actual Christmas that we felt that we wanted some traditions of our own.

I started out with chasing down a christmas tree, feels like they are getting more expensive each year and this year the half-decent trees where up to 300 SEK. The better looking trees cost 400 and upwards. After getting home and dressing it I started in on Christmas dinner.


We lacked some classics but all the favorites where there except for the ham which we made two weeks ago. This years seasoning of the ribs was saffron and honey. I just made a marinade of oil, saffron, honey, salt, pepper and thyme and let the ribs lay in it for a couple of hours. Another thing I made was meatballs spiced with christmas beer, in this case Jämtlands Julöl. Since there was so much left (I only used a few cl) I figured it was a good time to try it out.

Jämtlands Julöl (Bottle) 6,5%
It poured a very dark, clear, red liquid with a large beige foam that left a nice lacing.

Weak smell of bread and spices. A hint of ginger, but it was hard to pinpoint the different spices as they where quite subtile. My guess is it was a mix of dried orange peels, ginger and cloves.

Fairly smooth mouthfeel with a medium body. Taste of caramell, dark bread and spices. Once again I'm leaning towards cloves and ginger. Not a bad beer but it gets a bit lost in the competition at the moment.

Since I had it with the salty christmas food I can say that it worked well but it's not an exceptional match. It also tasted nice in the meatballs.
Total: 3,3/5

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, how cozy it looks =) My family usually sets up the tree 23rd or something, then it's gone by the 25th :P

    Also saw you went to see In Flames.. you basterd. >.>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same with my family, they put it up the day before and then it loose it's point a bit. And since we aren't home during Christmas we usually put it up a couple of days ahead of time.

    Hehe yeah, Per's room mate hooked me up with a ticket :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was the meatballs spiced with Jämtlands Julöl? Sounds interesting.

    Are you going to Regeringsgatan tomorrow? I think that I will be there at 11.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They where very nice, maybe could have used some "kryddpeppar" or similar for more taste, but the subtile spices worked well with the meatballs. Would be interesting to spice the meatballs with Underlig Jul or maybe MNM who had allot more spices.

    Yepp, I will be there some time before 10:00 to get a decent spot in case there are people queuing. Trying to get a bottle of Utopias.

    ReplyDelete