Monday, December 28, 2009

I survived another Christmas! - part 1

I'm back in Stockholm again after a very hectic and eventfull Christmas weekend. It's been a rough couple of days with lots of beer tasting and partying. It started on wednesday, with me having to run to the train in less then 10 minutes, with a huge backpack filled with beer on my back. I got there late, sweating like a drunken siberian prostitute in a finnish sauna. But lucky for me the train was 15 minutes late so I could sit my sweaty ass down in a chair and wait for a while before the train left.

As I got home I was greated by my parents wearing saunta caps and singing Christmas carols. Yepp, it was as disturbing as it sounds. Shortly some friends arrived and we had our traditional Christmas wake. Where we tried some nice beers and ate the first Christmas ham... one of many. Here are some of the beers we had:

Great Divide Fresh Hop (bottle) 6,1%
It poured a clear golden liquid with a small white foam that had some craters in it. It left a small amount of lacing on the side of the glass.

It had a hoppy smell of both grassy and fruity hops, mainly passion fruit.

It had a medium smooth mouthfeel with a bit of sting and a high bitterness that lasted a long time. It also had a taste of hops, buts, grass, fruits, grapefruit and passion fruit. Tasted fresh just as the title said. I liked this one.
Total: 3,8/5
Southern Tier Oak Aged Un*Earthly (bottle) 11%
This beer was a gift from Chrille which he brought with him from Holland. I have tried the first version and gave it a 3,6/5.

It poured a hazy dark golden liquid with a small white foam that left very little lacing.

It had a smell of wood, nuts, hops, malt, dill chips and some warm alcohol.

It had a smooth mouthfeel with a thick body and a medium bitterness. The strongest flavour was wood, but also grassy hops and some honey-syrupy sweetness. Nice! I liked this one better then the original.
Total: 3,9/5

We tried a couple more beers before they brought out the ham. But more about that tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment