Saturday, December 5, 2009

Christmas Beer 2009, part 5

Nögne Ö - Underlig Jul (Bottle) 6,5%
It poured a dark liquid with a medium sized beige foam that left a nice lacing.

As I poured the beer the smell of spices filled the room, very christmasy. I noticed pors and/or woodworm (malört), cinnamon and cloves. But there where more smells that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Smooth mouthfeel with a medium body, dry and medium bitterness. Very herby and spicey taste with cinammon, woodworm and/or pors, vanilla and liqourice. However it wasn't as herby as MNM that was way to herby. This one had a better balance and it was allot more enjoyable.
Total: 3,6/5
Great Divide Hibernation Ale (Bottle) 8,7%
It poured a very dark golden liquid with a small beige foam that left a nice lacing.

It had a very malty smell, similar to how it smells when you open a bag of freshly ground malts just before a brewing.

It had a smooth mouthfeel with a thick body. It had a very malty taste, just like voert before you boil it. Very sweet rich malty flavour. It had some alcoholic warmth but no real alcohol taste.

It isn't very christmasy but I really enjoyed it. I've never actually tried a beer that was this malty before.
Total: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. I really struggled with Underlig Jul. Just couldn't get past the overpowering spices. *confused*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I felt the same way about MNM. Maybe Underlig Jul was more spicey then I experienced it but since I tried MNM just before it didnt feel so bad. What did you think of MNM?

    ReplyDelete