Friday, December 4, 2009

Christmas Beer 2009, part 4

Sigtuna Midvinternattens Mörker (Bottle) 6,2%
It poured an almost pitch black liquid with a medium-small light brown foam that left no lacing.

The smell is very spicey and it smells like christmas. I have a hard time distinguish all of the different flavours, but there is oranges, cinnamon, licorice, some kind of nut and a bunch of other flavours that I relate to christmas.

The mouthfeel is very stingy and dry. It has a very herbal and spicey taste and they spices are very bitter. It's not the kind of bitterness you would find in a DIPA for instance, it's more of a spicey bitterness. Most likely coming from wormwood (malört) or pors (not sure about translation). If you have ever tried Fernet Branca (see pic below) or Beska Droppar, then you know what I'm talking about.

It said on the bottle that it works well with chocolate and hard cheese, like blue cheese. So I started out trying this with a truffel. I have to admit that it got better, but mostly because the chocolate hid the bitterness. I then tried the beer with some blue cheese spread on a gingerbread cockie. Which was nice, but the bitterness came through. It matched, but it wasn't a great match.

I'm having a hard time grading this beer. It's interesting but I personally believe that it was way to spicey and that the bitterness got to strong. However if you are one of thoose persons that love Fernet Branca or Beska Droppar. Then this is the beer for you. For me, I would rather drink something else.
Total: 1,9/5
Sigtuna Snowblind Strong Ale (Bottle) 7,5%
It poured a very dark hazy red liquid with a medium sized beige foam that left a nice lacing.

The smell was filled with fresh hops.

Smooth mouthfeel with a medium-high bitterness and med-high thick body. Tasted of lots of hops, both grassy and fruity. After a while I noticed some herbs and spices hidden behind all the hops.

A very nice beer, but it didn't really feel like a christmas beer. But for all the hop heads this might be the beer for you this christmas.
Total: 3,8/5

No comments:

Post a Comment