Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Beer cruisin'

I went on a cruise to Åland last weekend. These cruises aren't really famous for their great beer but I did manage to get my hands on some decent beer.

For thoose that haven't attended one of these cruises they are basically about partying, getting drunk and getting laid (well not for all of course). One guy took the last thing seriously and he didn't just get it on with the girl, he also did it with me, my brother and Bjunge who where trying to rest in the next room. It was like trying to sleep through a screaming earthquake.

Now back to the beer. Before boarding I met up with a couple of friends at Bishops Arms close to the harbor. I asked if they had anything uncommon in the fridge and the bartender suggested this beer:


Old Buccaneer (aka Bornem Triple) 9%
The bottle looked like something you would try to pawn of on tourists. But I dont let the bottle put me off and eagerly poured the beer. It poured a clear golden liquid with a huge foam and a nice lacing. The smell had a hint of orange and a fruit, sweet taste with a hint of corn. All in all an average tripel.

Total: 3/5


Tommy ordered a Titan IPA which I completely missed while scanning the fridge.


Great Divide - Titan IPA 6,8%
Poured a hazy golden liquid with a small foam and nice lacing. Had a nice strong smell of grasy hops and lots of it. Same with the taste, also some grapefruit and citrus. Very nice brew, I really liked this one.
Total: 3,9/5

We where running out of time so I quickly ordered a Örebro Bitter before leaving to walk to the boat.
Poured a dark hazy amber liquid with a small foam and some lacing. Had a smell of grasy hops and a hint of citrus. The taste was fresh with grasy hops and some grape fruit.
Total: 3,6/5

Once we got aboard I quickly made my way to the english style pub. I didn't test these beers seriously since I was more focused on being social with my friends. But I didn't find anything extraordinary.
I had a great trip with my friends even though I missed thoose who couldn't make it. One bad thing was that they didn't sell any alcohol in the tax free. Which upset my friends but I didn't mind since I planned all along to only drink beer from the pub.

7 comments:

  1. No alcohol in the taxfree?!?!?!?!
    Why taxfree with no alcohol?!?!?!
    Sure you didn't drink 10 of those pirate-beers?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehehehe. Yeah Im sure... however one of thoose pirates might have been enough. ;)

    It was something new they tried to decreases the drinking on the way from Stockholm to Åland. At 09:00 the next morning the opened the alcohol part of the tax free. However I think they did it to get more money since it costs more to buy straight from the bar. Since I think people got just as drunk anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you could buy alcohol on the way back to sweden? Otherwise it sounds stupid because the taxfree is what they profit from. The beer can be ok on those boats but what they have become even better with is the whisky. Good selction to decent price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, so if you don't do as most people do, get drunk and then go to sleep. Instead yo go to sleep and then get drunk. Then you will wake up in time when the taxfree opens. ;-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you liked the part where he wanted to get with you.

    That was the top most best of the trip. And i know you think so to.. u little fruit-cake ;)

    That IPA looks like "Kloakvatten" the drink :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yepp the beer in that english pub was pretty good and the prices where really nice. I can't remember all of the prices but I do remember that Chimay Blue cost 39 sek.

    Pappa Åke: Heheeh well good luck trying to sleep sober through all that partying :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicklas: Dont think he "wanted" to get it on with the 3 guys in the next room. But to much humping can cause weird side effects O.o

    Kloakvatten, at least the version I know, is blue and looks like something you get if you clean out the gutters. I'll make it for you sometime ;)

    ReplyDelete