Saturday, April 18, 2009

Testing La Trappe

I finally got a full set of La Trappe ales this Easter. So yesterday I decided to try them out together.

La Trappe is the only trappist beer brewed outside of Belgium. The Dutch king donated the land to a group of monks migrating from northern France and the monestary Koningshoeven (the Kings Garden) was founded. The brewery was founded in 1884 and they named it Schaapskoi (fårfålla, not sure about English translation). After the Second World War the brewery was bought by Stella Artois who wanted to get a foot hold in Holland. But the their beer “Trappist Pils” was a fiasco and the monks bought it back. They now brew the trappist classics Dubbel, Tripel and Quadrupel, using varieties of münchener malt and hops from Hallertauer and British Goldings.

La Trappe – Dubbel (7%)
It poured a hazy dark red liquid with a big foam, but didn’t leave any lacing on the glass. It had a nice fizzy smell of bread, dried fruit (orange) and peppery spices. The first taste hugged my tongue and it was allot smoother than I expected. The taste was very similar to the smell with the peppery spices and dried fruit. Very round and well balanced which made it easy to drink. Out of the three this was my favorite.
Total: 4/5
La Trappe – Tripel (8%)
It poured a hazy golden liquid with a big bubbly foam which left some nice lacing. Smelled of warm alcohol and dried fruit. My first reaction when I tasted it was that it tickled my tongue, it also left an oily sensation. It was a bit sweet with hints of bread and dried fruit.
Total: 3,5/5
La Trappe - Quadrupel (10%)
It poured a hazy amber liquid with a huge foam (had to be fast to pour after opening). It had a strong smell with hints of dried fruit, bread, red wine, spices and alcohol. As with the tripel this one also tickled but this time on the top of my mouth. I wonder what the cause is of that sensation; it’s almost like eating kiwi. The taste was similar to the smell with lots of spices, dried fruit, bread and allot of alcohol. I found it to be a bit to fizzy for my taste though, even after letting it rest for a while, but still a good beer with a very round and complex taste.
Total: 3,7/5

They where all good beers, but not the best trappists I've had. They also had some similarities, a common character, but I can't say exactly what it is. Probably the use of similar ingredients and yeast.

1 comment:

  1. I guess that the Quadrupel need some more time on the bottle before drinking it. As I got bottles from the same box as you have, I also got the same problem with too much CO2. And as I remember it from previous tasting this one felt very "young" and needs more time to age.

    ReplyDelete