Friday, April 3, 2009

Warm up for tomorrow’s festival

I got a call from my dad today. He was coming in earlier than expected to Stockholm. So I, my dad and Alfie the pop-up-man meet at Monks Café on Sveavägen after work. We ordered in a bottle of Maredous 10 and shared it.


I can't believe they let these kind of "people" into pubs in Stockholm ;)

Maredsous 10, 75 cl, 10% (Triple)
Appearance: Hazy golden colour, medium foam which left a nice lacing.

Smell: The smell seemed very promising with hints of dried fruit, nuts and ham. To be more precise a kind of Spanish dried pork where the pigs have been feed on chestnuts. Very appealing smell indeed and it leaned towards wine so I was intrigued.

Taste: The taste was a bit disappointing after having smelled it. The alcohol took over most of the taste and I had a hard time tasting the sweet and dried fruits. It did made my mouth tingle which I found odd, almost like when you eat a kiwi.

Total: 3,9/5
Maredsous 6: 3,7/5
Maredsous 8: 3,4/5

We also tried an Argentinean beer mostly on chance. I can’t find it at Ratebeer but the comments seems to indicate that it’s Araucana Rojiza Fuerte but at Monks it was named:


Araucana Doppio Malto, 50 cl, 9,2% (Double bock?)

Appearance: Hazy copper with no foam.

Smell: Had a sweet smell with some hints of dried fruit.

Taste: Similarities to wine, weak taste compared to the smell just as with the nr 10 above. Also had hints of dried fruit and strong alcohol with a bite to it.

Overall: 3,4/5

7 comments:

  1. Having a dad who enjoys beers must be great! Did you talk him into this one-way track?
    Nice blog by the way!
    Cheers/R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn you and your beer festival ><

    Hehehe, hope you have the best of times mate! And give Nicky a punch in the arm from me ;)

    I expect a full report, with pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick Gordon: It is great! :) I do belive it is his interest that has rubbed of on me. But I also have a feeling that his interest has increased with me and my brother getting involved.

    Clock: I will give him a punch and also wrestle with him a bit... after 91 beers ofc ;)

    Camera is charged and ready for photographing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Har läst din blog en tid nu. Väldigt bra. Kul med en bloggare som bor i stockholm. Kanske du är intresserad av någon sambeställning någon gång?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tjena Fajanen!

    Tack för komplimangen och jag håller med att det är kul att se en till Stockholms-bloggare. Ja, en sambeställning kan mycket väl bli intressant i framtiden.

    I've actually been thinking of trying to map up the beer blogs of sweden. There seems to be a large cluster in southern sweden but I'm a bit unsure who is from Stockholm atm. Would be fun to do a beer blogers testing some day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a cool father! My father is satisfied with ordinary beer from Spendrups.

    Nice idea regarding the map of beer blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehehe I bet he is enjoying thoose comments ;)

    ReplyDelete