Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Confusing Old Ox

I had a blind testing during Good Friday (Lång Fredag). It turned out to be Mariestad 6,9% and Mariestad Old Ox (also 6,9%). The confusing part is that Mariestad 6,9% is sold as Old Ox at some Systembolag and others sell Old Ox. They also have the same article number. So are they the same beer? My result is that they do differ on appearance, smell and taste. The only thing they have in common is the watered down taste.


Mariestad 6,9%
The liquid was clear yellow with a very small foam. It had a sweet taste with some hops, but was very watery and boring.
Total: 1,4/5

Mariestad Old Ox 6,9%
The liquid was golden with a medium foam. It had a metallic watery taste. My first reaction was that this was some American beer like Miller or Bud. Very watery and boring.
Total: 1,1/5

Anybody have any information on this?

5 comments:

  1. I don't have the slightest clue :(( Never tasted these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried at least the regular one when I was up in the middle of Sweden, and from what I remember I agree with you assessment. Of course, I'm not one for the really dark ales (at least not more than a pint/evening anyway), but that one was pretty bland (again; from what I remember).

    Looks like you had a good easter. Patch up for tomorrow. Going to Brussels next weekend, so I need some real life/voice Belgian beer tips. Not Kwak tho, that's old news ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kursat: Dont worry you didn't miss anything. ;)

    Clock: Yeah I was suprised that they where as strong as 6,9 though as I didn't feel the alcohol as much as you normally do in these stronger lagers. Some of them taste like home made booze with some beer extract in the mix hehe :P

    Nice! I've always wanted to go to Belgium. Tips hm... there is so much great beer in that country that I'm not sure where to start. How long are you staying in Brussels?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, now that I re-read my comment I realized that I'm implying that those beers are dark, which they obviously aren't. Just thought I'd correct myself before someone else does ^^

    Only staying there for a weekend, visiting a friend who's part of some exchange-student thingy. I suppose he's got some insight of what beers are good now that he's been there a few months (and being a student ;)), but knowing you I bet you've got a couple of tips too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... the problem is there is a ton of great beer in belgium. Im not sure exactly what to recommend. Well I think I will stick with the advice: drink as many different kinds of beers that you can get your dirty mits on ;)

    And skip all the big international beers like Stella as you can get them anywhere. Try the different types of abbey ales (double, triple, quadrupel), lambics and so on...

    Also beware of the alcohol. Many belgian beers are high in alcohol but it is well hidden.

    ReplyDelete