Monday, April 13, 2009

Testing Easter Beer

During Easter Saturday (Påskafton) we had a family dinner with my parents, brother, grandparents and my stepbrother Alfie the Pop-up-man. During the dinner we tested a bunch of Easter beer. Since there are quite allot of them I’m not going into great detail on each beer.

Nils Oscar – Kalas Påsköl (5,6 %)
It tasted of bread, caramel and a hint of burned toast and metal. Was pretty boring with low taste and smell, but was ok in combination with the food.
Total: 2,3/5

Slottskällans – Blåkulla (4,8 %)
Smelled of bread and caramell. Had a medium bitter taste with hints of bread, caramel, metal and some sweetness. Easier to drink compared to the other Swedish Easter beers and it was a favorite by the rest of the Eriksson family.
Total: 2,3/5

Grebbestad – Påsköl (5,2 %)
Compared to most of the other beers this one had a red colour and small but thick foam. It smelled sweet of caramel and fudge. The taste was similar to the smell but had some bread as well. It was smooth and easy to drink.
Total: 2,6/5

Oppigårds - Easter Ale (5,3 %)
Had a metallic taste and smell with some hops and spices. It wasn’t very exciting but it worked very well with the salty food.
Total: 2,6/5

Sigtuna Brygghus – Easter Booster (7,0 %)
Comment: The sticker says it has been inspired by Belgian beer; however my first thought was that it was influenced by American beer. With allot of flowery hops and medium-high bitterness. It is also spiced with coriander and has some sweet tastes to it. Maybe they used American hops and that is what is throwing me off. Either way this was one of the Easter Beers that I enjoyed most.
Total: 3,5/5

Sigtuna Brygghus – Påsk Alt (7,5 %)
It had a dark hazy reddish colour and small foam. The smell was spicy but a bit weak. It had a very round and nice spicy taste. A very nice beer and appreciated by the other members of the Eriksson family. One of my personal favorites as well.
Total: 3,5/5

Nynäshamns Ångbryggeri – Pumpvikens Påsköl (5,8 %)
It had a weak smell of bread. Tastes of bread and caramel and didn’t go very well with the food. The stingy bitterness was a bad combo with the salty Easter food, specially the salmon. To bad, I usually enjoy Nynäshamns beer.
Total: 2,1/5

To summarize: Most of the Easter beers where fairly boring spiced dark lagers. But some of them did work well with the food. If I had to choose though I would stick with Easter Booster or Påsk Alt as they were both pretty nice. I liked the fresh hops in the Easter Booster and the more complex spicy taste of the Påsk Alt. If I had to choose a beer to bring to a bigger Easter feast I would probably go with Slottskällans. I would stay clear of Pumpviken though as it just didn't work with the food.


The Eriksson family having dessert after a great Easter feast. You can spot my grandparents (mothers side) in the center of the picture.

A picture of my brother Peter and Jonas at Toffes place.

After the family dinner me and some friends went to Toffe's place to drink some beer. He has a really nice place with a pool table, sauna and an LP player. Was allot of fun playing old tracks. Day-O was a smash hit amongst us, we ended up singing it as we marched towards the taxi that took us to Örebro.

No comments:

Post a Comment