Friday, August 21, 2009

Castle Gripsholm

On monday me and Karin took a trip to Mariefred. It's a small town about an hour west of Stockholm. We started with visiting the caste Gripsholm that had housed several kings and queens. I honestly didn't expect it to be so big though.

You where allowed to enter the castle and a big part of it was avaible for tourists. Unfortunately you weren't allowed to take any pictures. The castle contained allot of paintings of royalties and other people associated with the royal families and some celebrities. It also had some rooms which you could only look at and they contained old furniture and other items.

The most impressing was the theater, it had a realy nice atmosphere and really gave the place a sense of luxury. It would be awesome to visit that place during a show. But I wonder if it is ever used these days. We also walked down under it and could see the wodden structure that could change the setting on stage.

After walking around for a few hours we went to Mariefred for lunch and just to stroll around and look at the store. My goal was to visit a cheese shop but unfortunately it was closed on sundays and mondays. However I had also heard about a farm called Furukulla where you could buy some locally produced items. However I didn't have any luck their either as it was only open on weekends. I did however run into the old lady that runs the farm and she told me that she mostly sold sheep that she mostly sold sheep meat in big packs of a full or half sheep. However she also had some fruit, potatoes, eggs and other produce when they where in season.

Karin in front of the castle. It rained every now and then over the course of the day.

Just inside the front gate.

Stefan and his big guns :)

On our way to the entrance of the castle.

We strolled through the park on the other side.

The castle seen from Mariefred.

Mariefred seen from the castle.

2 comments:

  1. Gripsholms slott is really beatiful. Have you visited Kalmar slott, its also cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have been in Kalmar, but it was to long ago to remember. But Per is born in Kalmar and invited me over for beer some day. So I hope I will be able to visit the castle on the same trip :)

    Got another castle, well fortress really, coming up in a couple of hours.

    Now we are off to Eskilstuna!

    ReplyDelete