Sunday, August 23, 2009

Eskilstuna Ölkultur, part 2

I tried all of their current own beers on tap. Here are the first three:


Fröslunda Tjeckisk Pilsner (Tap) 5,2%
It poured a slightly hazy golden liquid with a big ice cream looking foam that left big chunks on the side of the glass. I think this might be the most appealing lager pilsner I have ever seen.

It had a distinct aroma of grassy hops, some honey and white bread.

It was smooth with a light body with a noticable grassy hops flavour that brought a medium bitterness. It was easy to drink without being to bland, felt great in my mouth and it was hard to stop drinking it. Felt well balance and is one of the best of its kind I have tried. The only beer that rivals it is one of the beers served at the monestary brewery in Prague, located close to the castle.

I realise as I calculate the final score that it might be a bit over the top. But it should definitely be in the 3,2-3,5 range.
Total: 3,5/5

Bälgvikens Pale Ale
(tap) 5,5%
It poured a hazy golden liquid with a big ice cream looking foam that left allot of lacing. Very appealing!

My first thought when smelling it was fruit candy. After a while I also found a strong scent of hops, citrus and grapefruit. Not sure where the first idea of fruit candy came from.

It had a slightly sour taste which made me think of gueze or some seisson brews. After a few sips I realised there was also allot of grapefruit, citrus and hops. It had a medium body and medium bitterness that lasted a long time. It was also smooth and easy to drink. However the sourness feels a bit missplaced for this type of beer which makes it loose a couple of points.
Total: 2,9/5

Eskilstuna Jubileumsöl (tap) 5,1%
Before drinking this I was warned that it wasn't as good as it used to and that it had gone a bit sour.

It poured a hazy golden liquid with a big ice cream looking foam that left allot of lacing.

It had a slightly sour smell and I couldn't really distinguish any other smells, but it was fairly weak.

It had some sourness in the taste but not as bad as Bälgviken. I was warned that it was and it wasn't as bad as I expected. It was still very much drinkable and enjoyable. However I suspect allot of the flavour is hidden behind the sourness. It had a medium body and was slightly dry.
Total: 2,7/5

No comments:

Post a Comment