Sunday, August 30, 2009

Turn of the century market

On saturday me and Karin went to Sigtuna to visit the turn of the century market. It was a market as it could have taken place somewhere in the late 1800s or begining of the 1900s. There where people dressed up, they where selling hats, bread, sausages, candy and all kinds of stuff. There was even a guy walking around playing one of thoose boxes that makes music when you crank the lever.
They had a wedding at the town ssquare and then they had a dinner close by.

I finally found an open delicacy shop (had some bad luck during my vacation) and bought some cheese, strawberry marmelade with balsamico and some olive mix that was really nice. I also bought a garlic salami, some bread and a kg of freshly picked corn.

The music box, you can see him cranking that lever with his right arm.

I did have a "hidden" (tbh not very hidden) agenda to visiting Sigtuna, I wanted to find some beer from Sigtuna Brewery. However none of the restaurants I visited had it, not even Systembolaget. After asking around for a while I found out that you couldn't find it in town but that Systembolaget in Märsta had all their beer. Sadly it was closed when we went through Märsta on our way home. The answer I got when wondering why nobody had the beer was that it wasn't good enough. Now I haven't tried any beers from that brewery in a while but I'm sure it can compete with Pripps Blå, Zeunerts, Åbro and other low quality lagers that seemed to be the only supply available. To bad, I think it might draw allot of tourists. I don't think only beer geeks would find it fun to have a Sigtuna beer in Sigtuna. Well at least I was told that they might get some Sigtuna beer in Sigtuna this fall. Guess I'll have to look around again next time I'm there.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I haven't spammed you for ages, but I've been without my precious Interwebs for a couple of weeks now, apart from sporadic sneak-break-ins on my neighbours' secure connection (6). Aaanyways, hope all is well with you both ^^

    Went out to the local pub here in Hamar the other day and noticed they had Leffe (both blond and brown) and Hoegaarden too, so I had one of each :D Reminded me of the spoon-mastah!

    So, but yeah, take care. Don't be a stranger (might pop back into WoW later this year, depending on my economic situation) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries mate I hope you are having a great time in Hammar.

    Nice, I noticed that there where allot of Leffe in Oslo as well, even the clubs had the beer. In Sweden the beer is close to undrinkable at your regular club.

    If you come back to WoW you should come join us at JFA. We could use a good hunter like yourself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that we don't really need a hunter for now, though we need Thor <3 (with the Thor t-shirt)

    ReplyDelete