Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Kriek and chocolate

I don't think I've made it a secret that I love kriek and chocolate. A couple of days ago we bought a bunch of luxury truffels from a store in Waxholm and on saturday it was finally time to try them out. I was prepared with two bottles of Timmermans Kriek, one sweet and one sour (Retro). I have already rated the sweet version and gave it a 3,9/5, but apparently I have forgotten to do the Retro one.

First of all the chocolate was really nice, my personal favorites where the chili and the lime truffels. The chili truffel had a very distinct spicyness which was really interesting. The lime looked like a lime with a green crust around a soft pale yellow centre, it was white chocolate with a fresh lime taste.

Timmermans Tradition Kriek Retro Lambic (Bottle) 5%
It poured a clear, yet slightly faded, red liquid with a medium sized light red foam that quickly dissapeared and left very little lacing.

It had a very strong sour scent which included cherries and a hint of wood.

It also had a very sour taste with a high acidicity. At first the cherries was a bit hidden by the high sourness but when I mixed it with the chocolate the beer really improved. It got much smoother and I could clearly distinguish both cherries and some marzipan. Fairly nice kriek but I prefer the original sweeter version.
Total: 3,4/5

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if it's the beer but the describing words that u use is a real tunr on!

    ReplyDelete