Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Oktoberfestbier, part 1

When we brewed Death By Hops 2 we also tried some Oktoberfestbier. Unfortunately I wasn't very impressed but I will try to summarize the score below with some short comments.

Löwenbräu Oktoberfestbier (bottle) 6,1%
It poured a clear pale yellow liquid without a foam. Looked very boring. IT had a weak smell of yeast and bread. It had some acidic stingy bitterness. Not very nice or easy to drink.
Total: 1,2/5
Spaten Oktoberfestbier (bottle) 5,9%
It poured a clear pale yellow liquid with a small foam that dissapeared fast and left no lacing. The smell was weak with some white bread. Smooth and watery with some malt and bread. It wasn't bad, just very boring.
Last time I tried this beer it had some honey in it, it also had an odd aftertaste and small bits floating around. I thought it had gone bad.
Total: 1,5/5
Oktober Chest (bottle) 7%
It poured a hazy brown-golden liquid with a small foam that left a little lacing. It had a dry smell of bread and nuts. It also had a taste of bread and nuts. It also had some sourness with some carbonation, It felt stingy and dry in my mouth.
Total: 2,3/5
Weltenburger (bottle) 5,3%
It poured a clear dark golden liquid with a very small foam. It had a weak smell of white bread. The taste was also weak and had some white bread. It wasn't very smooth and had a stingy bitterness to it. Overall boring and not very good.
Total: 1,3/5

2 comments:

  1. Oktoberfest beers are, in my humble opinion, over all not very interesting and I could frankly live without most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, most of them tasted like low quality lagers and I normally don't enjoy lagers.

    ReplyDelete