Sunday, September 27, 2009

SBWF 2009, part 8

After a while we ended up at Brills counter and some really nice beers. Pierre Brill was there himself and suggested some really interesting beers. :)

We started out soft as I spotted a label that looked interesting:

Nögne Ö - Aku Aku Lemongrass (tap) 5,5%
Someone described this as drinking thai food as a beer. Which is a fairly good description. It had a very fresh scent and taste of lemon and lime. But it was also a bit watery and bland. Interesting but not great.
Total: 2,6/5

I think it was Per who thought it would be fun to try some other Nögne Ö beers and was suggested to try this one:

Nögne Ö Imperial Stout (tap) 9%
Lots of chocolate and coffey. Compley with lots of different tastes. Very nice.
Total: 4/5

I started asking about their american beer, what kind of Jolly Frogs they had and so on. Turned out I had tried most of them. But Brill pulled out a beer I had been wanting to try for a long time:

Pizza Port Hop 15 (bottle) 10,5%
It poured a hazy golden-orange liquid with a small white foam. It had a fresh smell and taste of grassy hops, lemon and other citrus fruit. It was very smooth with a round feeling that just hugged my tongue. Balanced and extremely good, one of the best beers I've had.
Total: 4,3/5

I got pretty excited about this beer and started pouring compliments over Brill. He then suggested I tried this beer, once again something I have been drooling over for a long while. Finally had a bottle in front of me and I could feel my mouth watering.
Beer Here Dark Hops (bottle) 8,5%
It poured a pitch black liquid with a medium sized light brown foam. It had a strong smell of both hops, citrus and chocolate and coffey. It tasted similar with a combo of hops and all the flavours I relate to a stout. Smooth, creamy and complex. This is a kind of beer Ive been talking about making. Combining lots of hops with a spicey stout. Very nice I really enjoyed it!
Total: 4,4/5

I then told him that this is probably the best line of great beers Ive ever had. He told me that I should try this beer and pulls out a beer that I once again have been pining for.

Three Floyds Behemoth Barley Wine (bottle) 12% (pink = 2005)
It poured a hazy copper golden liquid with a small white foam. It had a strong smell of grassy hops and flowers. The smell was thick and intense with some warm alcohol to build it up. It had a thick and heavy taste of caramell, hops and malt. High bitterness, very nice, a great beer!
Total: 4,2/5

After four really fantastic beers we decided to take a break and grab something to eat. After this I just enjoyed myself and to be honest I was just a bit to drunk to give the beer a fair chance.

2 comments:

  1. I worked for brill the first friday 18/9 between 15-22:30 were you there during that time?

    /Fredrik

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, unfortunately I was only there on saturday. They had some great beers though :)

    ReplyDelete