Monday, September 7, 2009

Death By Hops 2 - Return of the Hops

On saturday it was time to brew the sequel to Death By Hops, a wonderfull double IPA that I reviewed here and gave the high score of 4,2/5. Chrille made the recipe for this new version and please correct me if I got this wrong. This new version has a different kind of malt, wiener malt (don't remember the original), it also had some darker caramell malt and some wheat malt just as the original. He also made some changes to the hops, he added Simcoe instead of Target and I think there where some additional changes. I think I should have taken notes instead of relying on my poor memory.

Anyway, me, Per, Chrille, Åke and Peter the Chef met up to brew some beer and of course to drink some beer. I will get back to the drinking part in later posts.

Here are some pictures from the brewing:

Here is a comparison between the front that Chrille made and the original one. I finally got to be Han Solo! ;)

Chrille explained about the brewery and how it works.

And the crowd listened with great interest....

33 kg of malt had to be poured into what seemed to be a to small barrel of hot water.

Smiling like the bunch of morons we are.

It almost poured over but after a while it shrank down.

Chrille checked so that the temperature was correct.

An insane amount of hops, I think it was 1,3 kg in total for 110 litres of beer.

The hops was poured into the boiling vort at specific times.

After cooling the beer down it was poured into large barrels for fermentation.

This is what the hops look like after we where done.

The only boring part of brewing is the cleaning, but with a healthy amount of beer in our bodies we where happy to do even the most gruesome work.

Now we have to wait about 1 month before we can try the beer. I can't wait.....

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha, that picture was awesome for the beer! But i think that you should put Alfie as the emperor instead (they kind of looks the same). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics and text Stefan! You got it right on the malt, in the Death by hops brew we hade pilsnermalt and this we got Vienna.
    In the hops changes we are going to dry hop with Tomahawk hops instead of cascade.
    I have looked over the brew today and its fermenting very well!
    Thanks for the good work!

    Nicklas:
    Glad you liked the picture, it took a long time to make, but Im satisfied.
    Kippis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got some really weird pictures coming up later on. One of them has alfie as a hmmm.... popping up part ;)

    Yeah definitely, great work on the front Chrille! However I still say you should put my fathers face in the emperors cloak and put yourself as Darth Vader.... hmmm or maybe the other way around.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like ye had fun there. I wanna try to make something that contains alcohol too some day ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. *some day too, I meant.. Me = grammar-whore ><

    ReplyDelete