Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Southern Tier Hoppe and Un*Earthly

On saturday my parents came over for a quick visit so I took the opportunity to open a couple of the middle of the month releases from september. We started with two beers from Southern Tier. I have never tried any beers from this brewery, but looking at their ratebeer-ranks they have a bunch of beers around the 95-100 percentile. Which I actually didn't know until I just checked it up.
Southern Tier Hoppe (bottle) 8%
It poured a clear golden liquid, with a medium sized foam that dissapeared quite fast and left just a little bit of lacing.

It had a fruity smell with allot of hops. I couldn't quite pinpoint what kind of fruit, it was just a mix which I relate to hops.

It had a smooth mouthfeel and a medium bitterness. Tasted of fruity hops and lots of it, it also had something sweet. It had just a touch of acidic bitterness besides that it was quite enjoyable but not really fantastic.
Total: 3,5/5
Southern Tier Un*Earthly (bottle) 11%
It poured a slightly hazy dark golden liquid with a small white foam that lasted a long time and left a little bit of lacing.

It had a suprisingly weak smell of grassy and frutiy hops. I had expected a quite stronger smell from this beer. It was noticable but not the kind of explosion most DIPAs bring.

It was thick and left a dry sensation in my mouth. It had a strong taste of grassy and fruity hops and caramell. Medium-high bitterness with an alcoholic finish. Slightly better then Hoppe.
Total: 3,6/5

No comments:

Post a Comment