Monday, October 5, 2009

An Australian in Stockholm, part 3

We continued our walk south towards Old Town. We have a history of joking about us swedes being vikings and coming over to ravage England every now and then. Also, me and my dad had a 25+50 years party a couple of years ago where the theme was vikings. So I figured a good place to go would be Sjätte Tunnan (the Sixth Barrel), which is a medieval restaurant/pub located in a cellar in Old Town. The staff is dressed in medieval style clothing, the place is lit by candels and decorated by weapons and armor. In the background you hear some kind of medieval music playing. A nice atmosphere to drain a ceramic jug of mead.

Dave at the Sixth Barrel.

After the mead it was getting a bit late, so instead of walking up to Akkurat we walked around the block to Glennfidich Warehouse. They usually have allot of swedish micro beer on tap and just as with Bishops Arms I wasn't dissapointed. We decided to these beers should end our evening:
Nils Oscar Imperial Stout (tap) 7%
It poured a pitch black liquid with a small light brown foam that left some lacing. It had an unexpected smell of fruit candy, black currant, blue berries and some sourness. It had a strong taste of burned toast, sweet chocolate, coffey and nuts. It was smooth and dry. A weird beer, the smell didn't match the taste at all, felt like two different beers.
Total: 3,5/5
Dugges Never mind the Bollox! (tap) 9,2%
It poured a dark hazy reddish liquid, with a small light dirty orange foam. It had a strong smell of caramell, malt, bread, something sweet and alcohol. It tasted of caramell, malt, something sweet and had a warm alcoholic finnish. It had a smooth and thick mouthfeel and it tickled my mouth. A very nice beer.
Total: 4,2

6 comments:

  1. I have never been to Sjätte Tunnan, but it seems to be a rather interesting place. Do you know how many different kind of mjöd they have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gyllen!

    It is an interesting place to grab a beer. Some evenings there are guests dressed up as well. But the supply isn't that interesting. They have what they call a half-mead. Which is basically a spiced-ale, not very close to what I call mead.

    I also forgot to mention that they have opened a pub on the side called Bakfickan. I recomend the cellar though ;)

    A tip is to bring visiting friends, since it's kind of a touristy place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oi, isn't that the place we were at? Well, I don't reckon you'd know as you weren't there that night, but it looks like the place. Fun enough place :)

    And I like the new header ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clock: It is, and yes I was there as well. I was the one that lead you to it ;)

    Yeah I like the new header as well. Wish I had some skills or a program to make a nicer font on the text though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Thor, the new header is awesome =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, lol@me then. I was pretty drunk the whole trip so I didn't really notice what happened or who was where ^^ But ye, shame on me :P

    ReplyDelete