Saturday, October 31, 2009

SMÖF 2009, part 4

As we started to finish up in the beer hall we made our way across to Folkets Hus where they had all the bottled beer (except for the ones in the singles bar). Here they had a wide range of swedish micro brewed beer but also a couple of foreign breweries like: Antares, Hoppin Frog, Holgate and a couple more. I wonder who brought them along? Was it Monks?

Fairly soon after we arrived they released a suprise beer. Apparently the organizer of the festival had met the brewer from De Molen and he had been impressed by the festival and decided to dedicate a beer to it. I couldn't quite hear the whole story due to bad sound but it was something about a keg being left behind in his back yard.

Bloed, Zweet and Tranen (bottle) 8,1%
It poured a dark liquid with a small light brown foam. It had a smell of something burned and smoke, also some sourness and stingy on the noose. It had a smooth mouhfeel. It had a sweet taste of smoked ham, honey and vanilla. Decent beer but it felt a bit watered down.
Total: 3/5

Just as with last year we made our own Närke Stormaktsporter testing. I think it will be a returning edition to SMÖF for me. Me, my father and Nicklas shared a sample of each bottle: Kaggen Stormaktsporer 2008 and Närke Stormaktsporter 2007 and 2008. I have already rated Kaggen and gave it a 4,9/5, the highest score I have so far given to a beer. But I haven't rated Stormaktsportern even though I have tested it several times. Looks like I didn't take notes this time either so I will leave the proper rating for another day. Great beers though.

All in all a great festival. I tried 76 beers where I think 65 where new to me. I actually didn't have anything interesting left to try at the end, which is a new feeling for me. But I got a chance to re-try some great beers such as Three Floyds Behemoth Barley Wine. The next festival is Örebro Beer and Whisky and I hear allot of interesting brewers and importers are coming.

3 comments:

  1. The surprise beer at SMÖF were called: Bloed, Zweet & Tranen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks allot Thomas, I will update the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added the link to the suprise beer and added some finishing words. Also heard from Mr Wong who is organizing ÖBWF that they will publish a beer list.

    ReplyDelete