Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Testing Urthel

On friday it was time to try two beers I've had sitting in my fridge for a while, Urthel Trippel and Quadrupel. Both are brewed by De Koningshoeven, which is a monestary. I'm quite suprised to see that they also brew La Trappe. Looks like they make allot of beer, I always thought they only made the La Trappe beers. Anyway lets see what I thought of them:

Urthel Hibernus Quentum Tripel (bottle) 9%
It poured a hazy golden liquid with a big white foam that left allot of lacing.

It had a strong smell of yeast, spices, hops, citrus, nuts, ripe fruit, apples and a hint of pepper. Nice smell, I liked it.

It had a similar tast ewith yeast, spices, coriander, ripe fruit, apples, banana, hops and a hint of orange. Medium-hich carbonation and an alcoholic finish. At first it wasn't very smooth, it felt a bit stingy in my mouth but it got better at the end. A nice beer though I enjoyed it.
Total: 3,7/5
Urthel Samaranth (bottle) 12%
This is their quadrupel. It poured a clear dark golden liquid with a medium sized foam that left a nice lacing.

It had a smell of caramell, ripe fruit and a hint of burned toast.

It had a strong taste of caramell, peppers, nuts, ripe fruit and a very strong alcoholic finish. Medium amount of carbonation and a thick liquid. It tickled my mouth and wasn't very smooth. It had a very strong alcoholic taste, too strong if you ask me. It took over and covered all the other flavours in the beer.

The score might be a bit to high but I got another bottle so I can re-evaluate later on and see if it has changed over time.
Total: 3,1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment