Saturday, February 13, 2010

Chrilles Extra Special Bitter

Extra Special Bitter (50 cl Bottle) 5,2% I got this beer from Chrille, which he made a while back.

Style: Extra Special Bitter
Cost: Gift from Chrille, so..... free of charge :)

Bitterness------Sweetness-----Sourness-----Intensity-------Body
□----□□□□□-----■□□□□□□□---□□□----□□□

Appearance: 4/5
Hazy amber liquid, medium dirty white foam, groups of foam sticks to the glass.

Smell: 6/10
Fairly weak. Caramell, knäck, bread, grassy hops, milk??, hint of butter scotch and a hint of iron or maybe copper.

Taste: 5/10
Mild taste. Caramell, bread, malt and a hint of iron, copper coins to be exact.

Mouthfeel: 5/5
Smooth with a medium body. Very creamy and feels nice in my mouth. Very low bitterness. Very low carbonation.

Comment:
A very english bitter, easy to drink with a smooth mouthfeel and very low carbonation. It's very mild in both taste and smell with caramell and bread being the most dominante.

It has one major flaw and that is the copper or iron that breaks through in both taste and smell. Could be the pipes or maybe a by-product of the malts. Besides that I'm not sure how to fix it.

I would have loved some more hops in this, not allot but some more bitterness and aroma would be nice. I couldn't find any hops in the taste, but a hint in the smell. However the hops might have disappeared over time, I'm not sure how old this bottle is.

All in all this is an easy to drink beer. I can definitely imagine drinking a couple of pints in this in any English pub. Thanks for the beer Chrille!

Total: 3,2/5

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stefan!
    Thanks for the review. I have to check the copper taste and were it comes from. It can be from the pipes, we have talked about changing them in to stainless steel.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem mate, you just keep giving me bottles and I'll keep on writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey man!
    Im now at this moment drinking a Extra Special Bitter and I now feel that the hops have left the building (bottle) -smile-
    I think this beer is best served when its fresh. Now the taste is most malts. I dont feel the copper but some chemical aroma.
    Maybe we will brew this beer again and then I will slip you a bottle when it´s fresh.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrile: Yeah I think so to, a bit unfair to rate it when the hops are mostly gone.

    Hehe sure Im more then happy to get beer to rate :D

    ReplyDelete