Sunday, February 21, 2010

Port Brewing Older Viscosity

Port brewing Older Viscosity (37,5 cl bottle) 12%
I reviewed the younger brother of this beer yesterday. The difference between the two is that Older Viscosity has been aged on Heaven Hills Bourbon Barrels for 6 months.

Style: American Strong Ale
Cost: ? SEK

Bitterness------Sweetness-----Sourness-----Intensity-------Body
■□□□□□----□□■□□□□□-----■□□□□□□---□□□■□□----□□■□□□

Appearance: 3/5
Pitch black liquid. It was completely flat with just a few bubbles floating on the surface and it left no lacing.

Smell: 8/10
Red wine, port wine, dried fruit, whisky, booze and yeast.

Taste: 8/10
Wine, nuts, wood, chocolate, whisky and coconut.

Mouthfeel: 3/5
Smooth with no carbonation. Had a noticeable alcoholic feeling that dried my mouth up.

Comment:
As I poured this I was quite surprised as it didn't look like Old Viscosity. It was completely flat and when I smelled it the first thing that came to mind was port wine. I had a glass of red wine available compared the two and there where several similarities. After tasting it I realised it had allot of red wine flavours. But also whisky and a mix of other alcoholic beverages.

Not sure what would fit with this beer but I imagine the same thing that works with strong red wines, or port wines, with lots of flavour.

This was an unexpected and interesting experience. I expected the same beer only with some wood and whisky flavour. But this version was a completely different beer. I quite enjoyed it though.


Total: 3,8/5

1 comment: