Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Nalle Puh Porter

Nalle Puh Porter (tap) 8%
This is the beer me, my father and Chrille brewed during Christmas. It's a strong honey-porter at 8%. We used honey from a local producer called Puh Honey (think Vinnie the Poh). It's probably a bit early to try this beer so this is a sneak preview, it still has about 2 months until it is to be served at the Swedish Championship in home made beer.

Something worth mentioning is that we each have a 9 litre keg that we plan to experiment with. We are going to add something to the beer and then try it together. I got a plan for my keg but I will keep it to myself for now.

Style: Porter
Cost: I think it cost around 9 SEK/litre to brew.

Bitterness------Sweetness-----Sourness-----Intensity-------Body
□□□■□□□□----□■□□□□□-----■□□□□□□---□□□■□□----□□□■□□□

Appearance: 5/5
Pitch black liquid with a big dirty white foam that has lots of craters and left a nice lacing. Looks great!

Smell: 7/10
Some sourness, coke, chocolate, vanilla and a hint of coffee.

Taste: 6/10
Not overly intense. Chocolate, nuts, coffee, musty, roasted, dark bread. Some sweetness and coffee bitterness. A hint of chemicals (aceton).

Mouthfeel: 4/5
Smooth, creamy, just a bit harsh. Dry and medium body.

Comment:
Not a very complex porter, but well balanced and easy to drink. It has the usual flavours that you would expect from a porter; chocolate, coffee and so on. The alcohol is well hidden. I'm surprised I didn't find any honey flavour.

However it did have a chemical after taste that I relate to acetone. I suspect this off flavour has its origin in the honey. Since I've tried using the honey in cocking and gotten similar results. Thankfully it seems to disappear over time, while I was eating the food as leftovers the acetone flavour was gone. I just hope the beer will mature enough for the Swedish Championship.

I tried this with some chocolate and it was a good match. I plan to make some chocolate honey truffles and bring it to the Championship.

Total: 3,5/5

1 comment:

  1. Nice job, seems like a good porter :) Kinda have to attend SM now... ;)

    ReplyDelete