Saturday, February 20, 2010

Port brewing Old Viscosity

Port Brewing Old Viscosity (75 cl bottle) 10%
This beer was part of a news release last year but I have now forgotten exactly when I bought it. I also have their Older Viscosity which I will review tomorrow.

Port Brewing is actually the same brewery as Lost Abbey. I have tried several beers from these breweries before and they have all been of high quality. I have a personal favorite in Hop 15.

Style: American Strong Ale according to RB, but I would call it an Imperial Stout.
Cost: ? SEK

Bitterness------Sweetness-----Sourness-----Intensity-------Body
■□□□□□----□■□□□□□-----■□□□□□□□---□□□■□□----□□■□□

Appearance: 4/5
Pitch black liquid with a small light brown foam that left a curtain of lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell: 7/10
Chocolate, sweet, nuts.

Taste: 8/10
Chocolate, coffee, nuts, roasted and dark bread.

Mouthfeel: 4/5
Smooth, thick body, dry and mouth coating.

Comment:
It wasn't very complex, however felt well balanced, the flavours all complement each other in a good way. There also weren't any off-flavours. The alcohol was well hidden, it only revealed itself in the alcoholic warmth that followed after taking a sip.

I liked this beer but I would have preferred it with a bit more flavour and complexity. The chocolate is definitely there but I would have liked some more coffee and dark malty flavours.

Total: 3,8/5

No comments:

Post a Comment