Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Belgian Blizzard


Belgian Blizzard (33 cl bottle) 9,4%
This is a Rochefort 10 clone that my father, Peter the chef and Erkki brewed at Källarknut during a raging blizzard.

Style: Belgian Quadrupel

Cost: Homebrewed not sure what they paid for the ingredients.


Bitterness------Sweetness-----Sourness-----Intensity-------Body
□■□□□□□□----□□■□□□□□-----■□□□□□□□---□□□■□□□□----□□□□□■□□

Appearance: 3/5
It poured a very dark and very hazy amber liquid with a small dirty white foam.

Smell: 8/10

Fruity, berries, yeast and sweetness.

Taste: 8/10
Fruity, berries and yeast.

Mouthfeel: 5/5

Smooth and puckering mouthfeel. Thick body and medium carbonation.

Comment:
I should start by saying that Rochefort 10 is one of my favourite Belgian beers. This clone is very good but doesn't taste exactly like the original. I will have to test this at a later date, I actually have a bottle of Rocherfort 10 but didn't think of opening it.

That being said lets take a look at what we got. It's a
very nice belgian quadrupel and extremely easy to drink. I didn't feel the high alcohol at all. The only thing I might complaint about is that I would have love some more complexity. It felt a bit one-sided but I got a feeling this might change over time. The beer is quite young and should probably sit for a while to mature.

Total: 4/5

2 comments: