Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Swedish Championship in Homemade Beer 2010 - Part 2

This years festival broke several records. 370 beers participated in the Judges Competition and 103 beers participated in the Peoples Choice Competition. The festival wasn't just packed with beers it also got packed with people. More then 700 people visited the festival and you can see from the picture above what it looked like when it peaked.


The Peoples Choice Competition was divided into 3 categories, bottom fermented, top fermented and special beers. We had DBH3 and Nalle Puh Porter in the special beers class and Gullefjun in the top fermented class.

Even though I didn't go shit crazy tasting beer this festival (like I usually do) I have to say it was the most fun I've had at a beer festival so far. I loved standing in the booth giving out samples. Everybody where really friendly and we got allot of great comments on DBH3. Nalle Puh Porter and Gullefjun also got their share of course, but the majority went for the Death.

DBH3 actually got so popular we managed to get a gold medal in the Peoples Choice Awards, under the category Special Beers. I didn't quite understand it at first and it wasn't until I saw Chrille standing there with the medal around his neck that it sunk in. Felt weird to stand on stage like that, but allot of fun as well.

Unfortunately we "only" brought 38 litres of DBH3 so we ran out fast after the win was announced. I think Benny from Stockeboda and my friend Per was the ones who was the most upset about the lack of DBH3.

A few minutes later it was time for the big announcement, the winner of the Swedish Championship in Homemade Beer. Drakens Dubbel-IPA took home the first place, brewed by Rick Gordon Lindqvist, Tomas Lundqvist and Magnus Alström. Big congratulations to them.

They didn't participate in the Peoples Choice Awards with the beer which probably was lucky for us. It would have been fun to try it on the spot, but I traded a bottle with Rick just before the festival so I'm going to try it out later. I actually traded quite allot of bottles and I will write about them here later on. They are in Frövi with my father so I will get them at a later date.

To summarize the experience it feels like yet another great SC. I've been to several and this felt just as good as the others. The people involved in arranging it should have a huge pat on the back.

5 comments:

  1. BIG Cratz on the win mate! So I guess you will be participating next year aswell? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to the gold medal in the Peoples Choice Awards. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Yeah we will definitely participate next year and will go all out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure was a nice event. We'll see what we'll come up with. Hopefully something better than this year. A top 3 would be nice, congrats on the win though, I know I voted for you :)

    ReplyDelete