Thursday, April 1, 2010

Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer

Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer (33 cl bottle) 4,1%
This beer was released at Systembolaget on the 24th of March and is now part of the permanent supply. It's a belgian wheat beer with strawberry juice. According to the pamphlet I got with the bottle it's real fruit juice and no essences where used while making this beer.

Style:
Fruit Beer
Cost: 14,90 SEK


Bitterness------Sweetness-----Sourness-----Intensity-------Body
□■□□□□□□----□□■□□□□□-----■□□□□□□□---□□□□■□□□----□□□□□■□□

Appearance: 3/5
Hazy red-orange liquid with a small pink foam that left no lacing.

Smell: 5/10

Very sweet smell of
strawberries and fruit candy.
Taste: 5/10
Strawberries, rasberries. Very sweet and thirst quenching.

Mouthfeel: 4/5

Smooth mouthfeel with a medium body and low carbonation.

Comment:
I'm not sure how to rate this beer or if I should even call it a beer. I know that is a comment allot of people have with lambics and similar beers. Then I just smile at them but this time I'm the one asking the question: Is this beer? Well it is, it's just the fruit juice that is throwing me off. It basically smells and taste like a very good soft drink. Very fruity and sweet, but it has a thicker body and a deeper more complex flavour compared to a soft drink.

Even though I don't give the highest score to this, I actually believe I will buy more bottles in the future. It's extremely easy to drink and very thirst quenching. Would consider it with a dessert or even just sitting on the porch on a hot summer day.


Concerning suitable food companions it's obvious this is a dessert beer. The pamphlet suggests vanilla ice cream or using it as an ingredient in a sorbet. Both sounds very nice and I'm actually willing to try them out. I also have a feeling this would work very well with chocolate. Possibly not the fantastic combo that kriek and chocolate is, but it should be close enough.


Total: 2,7/5

No comments:

Post a Comment