Saturday, March 28, 2009

Kriek and dessert

I read a comment somewhere that kriek and vanilla ice cream go great together. So yesterday I tried it out and while I was at it I figured I could try some other desserts.

Timmermans Kriek (4,5%)

Appearance: Clear red colour and a small foam with very little lacing.

Smell: Distinct smell of cherries, marzipan and a hint of nuts. The nutty and marzipan smell comes from the cherry stones/seeds that get attacked by the yeast.

Taste: Very sweet taste with lots of cherries and marzipan got a hint of nuts as well. It’s also slightly fizzy and got a small acidic bite to it. It’s not so bad but it’s not as smooth as Lindemans Kriek for instance.

I’m a big fan of lambics and this one is really nice. However it’s not the best I’ve had, it lacks some balance and smoothness to get a better score.

Total: 3,9/5
Now to the dessert testing:
Carte D’ or Vanilla: 3/5
The combo is very nice and fresh. However they don’t complement each other in a way that they enhance the flavor of one another.

Ben & Jerry’s Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream: 4/5
This combo is slightly better, it’s similar to the vanilla but the strawberry in the ice cream and the cherries work great together. It might just be that this ice cream is slightly better though.

Truffles: 5/5
Now things start happening. The kriek enhances the chocolate; meanwhile the chocolate enhances the kriek and really makes it pop in my mouth. It brings out the cherry flavor in the kriek and removes some of the acidity. This is a really good combo even though the truffles alone is by far the worst dessert in this test, I really should buy something better for next time.

1 comment: