Sunday, March 29, 2009

Six in the dark

I had a busy Saturday which included both a visit to the house of pain (aka IKEA), grown up Lego (assembling furniture) and cooking for an army (for some reason I always cook to much food). It was also Earth hour yesterday, which means you turn of your electricity between 20:30 and 21:30. I guess allot of people spend this time having sex, but I had some six instead.

I tested Maredsous 6 and Rochefort 6, both of which I have written about previously in my blog but then I didn’t have these bottles. So I figured why not fill in the gaps.

Maredsous 6 (6%)

Appearance: Hazy golden colour with a huge foam that left a ton of lacing. It actually leaves big chunks of foam on the side of the glass. Looks very appealing.

Smell: Ripe fruit, sweet, yeast and nuts.

Taste: Sweet but not so fruity, some nuts, spicy with some yeast and a slight alcoholic taste. However it’s pretty smooth and easy to drink. It feels very balanced but I would have preferred some more spicy taste to it.

Total: 3,7/5

Note: Maredsous 8 got a 3,4/5

While trying this beer, Karin showed up with some freshly baked raspberry and chocolate chunky cup cakes. They worked very well with the beer actually. I would give the combo a 3,5/5.

Rocherfort 6 (7,5%)

Appearance: Hazy dark orange colour with a big foam that quickly disappeared and left no lacing. It also had some yeast in the bottle.

Smell: Dried fruits, nuts and a hint of orange and banana. There’s a distinct smell which I can’t distinguish.

Taste: Strong taste of nuts, also ripe fruit. Fizzy with a small bite to it, alcoholic aftertaste. The mysterious smell is in the taste as well, not sure what it is.

I really like this beer, I’ve actually liked all of the Rochefort beers I’ve had so far.

Total: 4,1/5

Note: Rocherfort 8 got a 4,2/5
Rocherfort 10 got a 4,4/5

5 comments:

  1. Holy Helleven! You've been busy (and bored?) this weekend, mate ^^

    And all this talk about food has gotten me hungry.. AGAIN!

    Damn you, Blondie, with your cheep beers and pizza ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been busy, but mostly with working on our computer/hobby room.

    Btw how was the mountain trip? Saw any big crazy norwegians with axes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victor: Yeah I have, but it was a couple of years ago and I didn't keep notes. Would be allot of fun to get my hands on a bottle now :) Have you tried it yourself? How was it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started my new job today and I got Monks Café on the other side of the street. Just checked and they have Maredsous 10 on 33 cl bottle. Might be a plan to swing by some day... :)

    ReplyDelete