Friday, March 20, 2009

Testing Kwak

I didnt have a more organised beer testing planned for today so I just grabbed a bottle of Kwak (8,4%) from the fridge.

Background: Kwak is mostly famous for the timeglass shaped glas you can see in the picture to your right. Apparently it's supposed to look like a goblet that riders used during the 18th century. The design made it possible to secury the goblet in the sadel between swigs. The beer is named after Pauwel Kwak who was a legendary inn keeper, famous for his strong ales. This beer is supposedly similar to the one he made.

Apperance: The beer has a clear dark amber colour with a big foam that quickly dissapeared and left a nice lacing.

Smell: Yeast and a sweet smell that reminds me of dried oranges.

Taste: Bread, grass, caramell, sweet, fruity and a burned aftertaste, similar to burned toast. The taste is sweet and leaves a sticky feeling in my mouth.

The alcohol was well hidden, didnt expect to see 8,4% when I checked the bottle after half a glass. I liked this one, its not great but its above average.

Total: 3,7/5

4 comments:

  1. Think you doing fine. I'd like to keep an eye on this as I'm addicted to beer as well. keep it in English, I understand that was good and correct move. I mean I'd like to understand what the hell you talking about. Sadly we are all stuck with English language, well what can you do. Well at least we can enjoy it. Did you try a brown bottle Efes. Maybe I can send you a few to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Orionturk. :) It was the easiest solution. I know I dont have the widest vocabulary but as long as its understandable Im satisfied. ;)

    Ive actually tried Efes Dark before. My dad (yeah that guy again) went to Turkey and brought home a bunch of beers. But thanks anyway :D

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Efes dark is not good. People here in Turkey do not know stout and cider. I must say it's not a big drinking culture and the biggest drink is "raki" which is same like "Pernod" or "Ouzo", it's a spirit and associated with dining and eating.

    Turkish always heard about "some sort of a beer" which had a dark color. Stout I'm talking about, but they didn't understand stout wasn't a lager and possibly will never do :((. Efes dark is a commercial product inspired from Stout and actually it is not a quality product at all. It's a rip off all together. I wouldn't go near it. However there is Efes Pilsner in brown bottles (500ml). There are a few bottles of Efes, You'll get 300ml browns and and you'll get 300ml greens. But 500ml brown is different. Well the difference is the brewery basicly. 500ml browns is the oldest brewery. I must say, I tasted quite few beers. Lived in England for a year and Ireland 8 years. Brown 500ml Efes is quite good. Did you taste that particular one? That's quite good, well to me. Lately I've been hooked on "Cobra" 330ml bottles. Did you get to taste them? Cobra is an Indian brand brewed in England. I must say I'm very impressed. Try if you get a chance. And let me know if you tasted Efes 500ml brown bottle. I had three of them since the morning as I have a guest from Ireland today. hahaha.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 500 ml Efes can be bought at Systembolaget in Sweden. I'll get a bottle when I go there next time to see which one it is.

    Ive actually tried a turkish beer that stood out a bit. I think it was a dark lager spiced with chocolate and I dont mean chocolate malt, I think they had added chocolate powder or something to it. It wasn't great but it was interesting. Cant remember the name though.

    Yeah, I've had Cobra. I've actually travelled in India a bit. My favorite then was Kings which is brewed and sold in Goa. However it had a really mixed quality, some of the bottles where pretty good while others tasted weird. Besides that it was hard to find anything besides Kingfisher in India. Many of the counties where "dry" in the sence that they wheren't allowed to openly sell beer.

    My favorite asian beer is beerlao though. It tasted fantastic when I had it in Cambodia. But when I tested it in Sweden it was quite boring.

    ReplyDelete