Friday, March 27, 2009

Lager and pizza

The missus brought some pizza home from work and I figured this was a good opportunity to try a couple of lagers I had in the fridge. I’m actually not a big fan of lagers. Most of the time I find them boring and they usually taste the same. However I have this weird idea that they work well with pizza.
(We split the two pizzas, to the left some meat and Béarnaise, to the right a kebab pizza)


I got a tip from Bursat to try an Efes 500 ml in a dark bottle, since it is from the old brewery. Systembolaget had a bottle that fit the description, so I hope I managed to get the correct one. Unfortunately I couldn’t get my hands on a different bottle to compare against so I bought a Landsorts Lager from Nynäshamn instead.

Efes Pilsener (5%)

Apperance: Clear yellow colour. Medium foam that left a little lacing.

Smell: Weak smell with a hint of metal and something sweet.

Taste: Lean taste and easy to drink. Had a very low bitterness and hints of bread, metal and that sweet smell I couldn’t but my finger on.

This beer probably works wonders on a sunny beach, but in my livingroom with a snow storm raging outside it feels out of place.

Total: 1,7/5

Nynäshamn Landsorts Lager. (5,3%)

Apperance: Clear golden colour with some small pieces floating in the beer. Small foam that left little to no lacing. For a lager it has a quite appealing apperance.

Smell: Weak smell of bread and metal.

Taste: Medium to low bitterness and a hint of bread and metal. It has a small bite to it and a bit more taste. An ok beer but still a bit boring.

Total: 2,3/5

Nynäshamn won this one, but it was a bit unfair since it's a microbrewery versus a much larger brewery. Efes actually stands it's ground quite well against the other lagers I've tried. Thanks for the tip Bursat Im very interested in more ideas or tips :)

9 comments:

  1. *slurp* i want that pizza. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The international visitors will be shocked by the Swedish pizza toppings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humle: Yeah I want one more :)

    Bark: Hehehe yeah maybe they will. Actually the pizza was the best part. The complete ingredients where:
    Left - Tomato sauce, mozarella, meat, fresh mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, marinated garlic (I added that as an extra topping) and Béarnaise.
    Right - Tomato sauce, mozarella, kebab, fresh lettuce, fefferoni, union and garlic sauce.

    Btw I did some interesting testings with a kriek and some desserts. Should have it posted tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't believe a "Kebap" pizza. Well small piece of information "kebap" means meat cooked with direct fire. Usually and ideally coal fire. It is a Turkish word, I'm sure you know at this stage. I just can't believe how the term integrated to the rest of the world's dining culture. Heard people and establishment's using kebap on different stuff but never came across a "Kebap Pizza"!!! Felt sorry for the Italians.

    About Efes, I'm sorry that's not the bottle I was talking about. I must say I was a llitte bit surprised, when you mentioned that you could get it in Sweden. Cos they don't export those bottles (the ones I was recommending) but think at this stage I have an understanding of your beer taste and I can imagine Efes wouldn't be your favourite. Turkish good for Kebaps bad for drinks. And hey, any beer goes down well on the beach!!!

    Kursat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Orionturk: The Swedish "kebab" usually means either "döner kebab" (like in Germany) or "gyros" (like in Greece).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kursat: To bad about the bottle, but it was an interesting test. If you have any more ideas or tips I'm happy to take them :)

    Yeah I love belgian beer. But always willing to test whatever comes in my way.

    Agreed on the beach thing :) However I've had a stout on the beach and it didn't feel right. Or maybe the stout was bad... it was brewed in Cambodia....

    bark and Kursat: Thanks for clearing that kebab thing up. I actually didnt know that. The "kebab" we have here are definitely not cooked over an open fire though. Maybe an idea for an article bark? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it seems the kebap thing needs a little final adjustment. "Doner" in Turkish means "spinning" or "rotating". So Doner Kebap is basicly spinning meat cooked by direct fire. Doner Kebap's most famous version is "Iskender Kebap" which made "Doner Kebap" world famous.Invented in Turkey at a city named Bursa in 1870 stg like that. Iskender is the name of the person who put the meat onto a big skewer and started it spinning by the fire. You can check the rest of the story here.

    www.kebapciiskender.com.tr

    Kebap can be in any form. Lamb, beef or chicken. Kebap names will vary depending on the state of the meat. Here for example if its mince meat on a skewer and cooked by direct fire than we call it "Adana Kebap". Say it is cubes of meat on a skewer we call it "Shish Kebap". But if the chicken is spinning by the fire than it is "chicken doner kebap" and so on. Not going into too much detail!! I'm more of vegetable man. Here in Turkey, we make kebaps from tomatos and aubergines as well. Havent seen anyone kebaping pork so far. In Ireland I was planning to make "Salmon Doner Kebap" and release it as the first Irish Kebap in history. I'm serious. Tought it is funny and wanted to share with you guys. Or is the bottle of Efes I'm having at 8.30 in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy stout only on a rainy sunday afternoon if I'm stuck in an Irish pub. Stout doesn't work for me apart from being an occasional sunday afternoon drink. On the beach? No. Think I'm more of a lager man.

    Oh by the way. Your blog is getting exciting everyday. A Cambodian Stout!!! Well never say never. Everyday I learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kursat: That was an interesting read, Ive actually never thought of it. Most of the kebab you get on pizza here is from minced meat and then roasted on a rotating spit (vertical) against some electric grill plates. But there are other varieties as well. It's also quite common to get it in bread. Btw we also have something called Super Kebab Pizza, which is a basic kebab pizza but they add french fries on top.

    Thanks :) I'm trying to find my style. I might write about the beers I had on that trip some day. I did 4,5 months in South East Asia and India. Will have to go back and check my travel journal.

    ReplyDelete