Monday, March 30, 2009

Why Beer? Part 3

When I turned 25 and my dad turned 50 we had a big party (lots of pics and stuff in that link) together with a Viking theme. We served our own brewed mead and “Viking” spiced booze, dressed out and growled allot. Both me and my dad got the same gift from my aunt/his sister; a membership in the home brewers club. This opened up a new world to me. I got a magazine about beer which I have devoured ever since. We also noticed that there where allot more beer festivals besides SBWF.

Top: Hairy Lard Belly (my dad), Little Down Belly (Me), No Hair and Small Club (Roger). Bottom: Ugly Bastard (Martin) and Drunken Beard (Gabriel).

Since I lived in Uppsala our first festival was Belgofesten, a small festival with homebrewed Belgian style beers. It was (and still is) the best festival I have ever visited. Great beers, great people and it was allot of fun talking to all the brewers.

Belgofesten in Uppsala 2007 (Home made belgian style beers). On the picture: Karsten, Martin, Peter (my brother) and me.

Belgofesten 2008. The whole Eriksson family gathered for this one. It looks like I have tried all of the beers already on this picture hehe ;)

We decided we had to go to more of this and two months later we went to the Swedish Championship in home brewing. After that we kept adding more festivals to our yearly calendar. Micro Brewery Festival in Söderbärke. Whiskey festival in Linköping. Wine and cheese festival in Örebro…. and so on… So far we haven’t started brewing ourselves yet but the plans are there as you will soon notice.

Me and my dad at the whisky festival in Linköping 2007. The picture was taken at a Macallan testing. There was some crazy scottish guy on the stage weilding a knife and talking about Macallan. Very interesting :)

I'm still missing pictures from Söderbärke, Örebro Whine and Cheese and the Swedish Championship in Home Brewed Beer, but I will have some more for you later on. Part 4 will be puplished shortly.

(I moved the 2003 Oxford beer festival to 'Why Beer Part 2'.)

4 comments:

  1. Hm, I cant remember that it was my 50th birthday at the Viking party. As I remembered I felt like 25. Ok, I might been 50 the day after the party or maybe I felt like 75 :-( but during the party I felt like 25!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your memory is failing... getting old? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Macallan is fabolous. One of the favourites so far. Sadly overrated a little bit and maybe thats their strategy. but i wish more people tasted it. Sometimes I'm worried Johnny Walker is gonna take over cos these guys are well over priced. i wouldn't mind a glass of it now. I'm here in Turkey past three months, not many options. Thankfully a friend brought a bottle of Jameson last week. Keeping me going. Salute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big whisky drinker, but I enjoyed the testing.

    Nice to hear your Irish friend is keeping you alive down there in the warmth. How is the supply of whisky in Turkey?

    ReplyDelete