Saturday, March 14, 2009

Testing Leffe

As I have mentioned before, we participated in a brewing course at Monks a while back. We brewed a dark strong Belgian ale, a double in other words and named it Sugar Daddy Double (SDD). When we later tested it someone said that it reminded him of Leffe Brune. Well I of course felt I needed to test it out so I bought a bottle and figured I might as well buy a Blonde while I’m at it.



Compared to SDD Leffe Brune has a clear dark amber color close to black, while SDD had a hazy dark colour and darker foam. Leffe has a similar spicy smell and taste. What differs between them is that Leffe has a metallic taste and SDD was more malty. I’m biased on the subject but I feel that SDD was allot better. Well it was brewed in a much smaller scale so that might be it. Regarding the question of its similarity my friend wasn’t off by much.


I also tried Leffe Blonde and it was allot better than Brune. A round yeasty taste with hints of apple, spices and hops. Felt really nice and is a great way to start if you are new to Belgian beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment