Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Why beer? Part 1

People tend to get a weird look on their face when I tell them that one of my major interests is beer. Some seem fascinated and I’m sure some just assume I’m a raving alcoholic. I’ve also been asked on several occasions: Why Beer? What’s so interesting about that?

It might be a bit hard or at least vague to explain why. It would just be some general praise of beer and trying to explain the joy of trying a new beer and I don’t think anybody would find that interesting. But I can at least explain how I came to love beer so much.

Most of the time I tell them how my father took me to England when I turned 18 and that’s when it started. I do believe that I got my interest for beer from my father. However, as I think back, I believe it started sooner.

I remember when I was first starting to drink alcohol that I always tried something new if I had the option. At first I just tried different types of lagers. Tried a few different kinds of ales and stouts but remember that I thought they were a bit too much. Hobgoblin is one of the beers I remember from this time. Can’t say I enjoyed it that much.

When I turned 18 we took that trip to England I mentioned earlier. This is when I got my eyes open to other types of beers. First off was real ale. At first I thought it tasted weird, kind of fruity and bland. But I stuck in there and our friends in England took us to some amazing places. (Thanks Mark and Dave!) Once I got back home I was hooked and started trying all sorts of beer. I quickly became known as the guy who always had a bunch of weird beers ;)

1 comment:

  1. Im afraid I dont have any digital pictures from this period of time. But I will include some pictures in part 2 and 3.

    ReplyDelete