Friday, March 12, 2010

BrewDog Stone Bashah

BrewDog Stone Bashah (33 cl) 8,6%
Bashah is short for: Black As Shit Hoppy As Hell. It was brewed at BrewDog together with Stone Brewing Co. They describe the beer as a Black Belgian Style Double India Pale Ale which of course gets my imagination started.

Style: American Strong Ale

Cost: 38,40 SEK

Bitterness------Sweetness-----Sourness-----Intensity-------Body
□□□□□■□□----□■□□□□□□-----■□□□□□□□---□□□□□■□□----□□□□□□■□

Appearance: 4/5
It poured a pitch black liquid with a medium sized light brown foam that left a nice lacing.

Smell: 7/10

Actually not as strong as I expected. But it smelled of chocolate, yeast, hops and wood.

Taste: 8/10
The taste was allot stronger with chocolate, coffee, hops and some roasted notes. It had a high hop bitterness but not allot of hop aroma. The hops might have been hidden by the strong coffee-chocolate-roasted aromas.

Mouthfeel: 4/5

Thick body with a low carbonation. Fairly smooth and nice mouth feel.

Comment:
A very odd and complex brew, but I actually expected something even more complex. Thought there would be more fruitiness and yeast and other aromas that I connect to Belgian style ales. This tasted more like an imperial stout with hop bitterness.

Trying to put my expectations on the side I have to say this was an enjoyable beer. I tried it with some chocolate and it was a very good match. Well I used a high quality (70%) chocolate bar with cherries and chilli, which felt like the perfect match for this beer.

Total: 3,8/5

No comments:

Post a Comment